What is PHP?
About PHP –
- PHP stands for Hypertext Pre-processor and also known as Personal Home Pages.
- PHP was introduced by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1995.
- Later PHP was developed by two people Zeev Suraski and Andi Gutmans.They also founded Zend Technologies in Ramat Gan, Israel.
- PHP is a server-side scripting language designed for web development but we can use this as a general-purpose programming.
- PHP is a highly popular server-side scripting language.
- It is the fastest resource available for creating database-enabled dynamic websites.
- A PHP file can contain plain text, HTML tags, and scripts.
- The extension of PHP file is “.php”.
- Before learning about PHP you should have a basic idea of HTML, CSS.
- You can learn these HTML and CSS basics in our HTML and CSS tutorials.
- Popular sites like Facebook, Yahoo, Flickr are built on PHP.
- PHP is an open source software product.
- All the features and updates of PHP are available free of cost.
- To implement any project we need a database server, web server, and serverside scripting language.
We have few built-in packages which have software area.
They are :
1) XAMPP :
XAMPP stands for Cross–Platform Apache Mysql PHP and Perl
This Package have all major Softwares to implement a webpage. Like Apache, MySql, FileZilla, Mercury, and Tomcat.
This Package will work on any Operating System.
2) WAMP :
WAMP Stands for Window Apache MySql PHP
This Package will support only on Windows Operating System.
3) LAMP :
LAMP Stands for Linux Apache MySql PHP
This Package will support only on Linux Operating System.
4) MAMP :
MAMP Stands for Mac Apache MySql PHP
PHP Syntax :
- Above is the syntax for PHP.
- Here the code is between <?php and ?> tags
- Save the Program with .php extension in Xampp – htdocs
- Syntax to execute a PHP file using XAMPP
server name/filename.php (open your browser and execute your file).