ES6 and ES5 are two of the important scripting languages in the Software Development industry. Both ES5 and ES6 have some similarities in nature but at the same point in time, there are also many differences between ES6 and ES5. Here, we’ll be going to have an in-depth discussion on ES6 vs ES5.
The full form of ES is ECMA Script which is a trademarked scripting language defined by ECMA International. This is mainly used for client-side scripting on the World Wide Web. The first edition of the ECMA Script was published in June 1997.
The sixth version of ECMA Script is known as ES6 (it is also called as ECMA Script 2015). The ES6 includes the following important features:
1) Arrows: These are a function which is described by the ‘=>’ syntax
2) Objects: Object literals are used to support prototype assignments.
3) Classes: ES6 classes can be easily implemented over the prototype-based object-oriented pattern
4) Destructing: It allows binding pattern which is based primarily on pattern matching.
5) String interpolation
8) Module Loaders
9) Weak set
11) New Library
The fifth edition of the ECMA Script is known as ES5 and ECMA Script 2009. The ES5 includes the following important features.
2. Accessors: It allows users to implement the getting and setting of properties by using methods.
3. Syntactical changes:
2). Multiline string literals
3).Property keys using reserved words
4. Additional features: There are few additional new features have been introduced in case ES5
a). Metaprogramming: Different prototypes are used for the same
c).Usage of Bracket Operator
e).Built-in objects that are specific to JSON:
Like two sides of a coin, both ES6 and ES5 have few pros and cons.
- The tail call optimization feature has been enabled in case of ES6 implementation
- In the case of ES6, function keyword need not be used to define the function and the return keyword can be also avoided to fetch the computed value
- String templates and handle interpolation can be used in a more matured way while implementing the scripts using this language.
- Shorthand syntax for object literals can be used with this scripting language
- Using this version, the core codes can be represented in a cleaner syntactical way.
It doesn’t have all the support that ES5 has, but you’ll always transpile your ES6 code.
ES6 is great. There’s no reason to hold you back. If we use Babel, it’ll convert our ES6 code into ES5 code. Use it until all of the Browsers have completely adopted ES6 standards
- Using ES5, a user would be able to implement the property access arrays  features on strings
- Reserved words can use as property names
- It supports and process implementation of multiline string literals
- Using this version, the core codes can be represented in a cleaner syntactical way
- All the functions and its corresponding usage can be clearly described with this version
- It has a lot of browser support.
- The new features that have been implemented in ES6 are mostly not present in ES5
- It sometimes creates a little confusion over the best and standard coding practices
- From the learning perspective, it may appear a little bit tricky while compared to the normal java scripts.
ES6 vs ES5 Comparison Table
The primary Comparison between ES6 and ES5 are discussed below:
Key differences between ES6 vs ES5:
|The Basis Of Comparison Between ES6 and ES5||ES6||ES5|
|Definition||ECMA script is a trademarked scripting language specification defined by Ecma international. The sixth edition of the same is known as ES6||ECMA script is a trademarked scripting language specification defined by Ecma international. The fifth edition of the same is known as ES5|
|Using Arrow Functions||In the case of ES6, function keyword need not be used to define the function and also the return keyword can be avoided to fetch the computed value||In the case of ES5, function, and return both keywords need to be used to define the functions|
|Object Manipulation||Object manipulation can be processed more smoothly in ES6 (due to the presence of destructuring, speed operators) than its previous versions.||ES5 also provides an equivalent feature longer consuming than that of ES6.|
|Performance||With the help of newly implemented features and shorthand storage implementation, ES6 scores a higher performance rank than ES5||ES5 is the prior version to ES6 and thus due to the non-presence of few, its performance is maybe a bit but that of ES6 support.|
|Support||There is also a lot of community support for ES6. However, it is lesser than that of ES5||ES5 provides a larger range of community supports than that of ES6|
Both ES6 and ES5 are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference between ES6 vs ES5:
1. Import statement feature is present as a part of this newly implemented ECMA Script version 6 whereas this is not the case with ES5.
2. Asynchronous functions and generators can be used as part of a new feature in case of ES6
3. From the support perspective, ES5 provides more support than that of ES6
4. In the case of ES6 “const” and “let” keywords can be used with respect to immutable and block scripting objects whereas this is not present in ES5.
After comparing ES5 vs ES6 over a variety of things, it is often concluded that these are the 2 major scripting languages and ES6 is that the newer version between them but at an equivalent point of your time, ES6 vs ES5 has its own pros and cons. Thus, supported the type of project need, time of labor and on all other different discussed aspects, any of ES6 vs ES5 should be selected to achieve the specified goal.